Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2026

St Mary's Kangaroo pt

This morning Phoebe and I went to church at St Mary's Kangaroo pt. What a lovely experience. They seem to be able to smoothly integrate current identity ideas with traditional Anglican rituals in a way that, in my view, would make everyone feel welcome. 
 
There were two times when inclusivity was mentioned: 
1. firstly the fellow did what I thought was a very nice little commentary about welcoming everyone including those of different sexual orientation or identity, different race or just difference. He went on to talk about not just welcoming people but to listen to them. It was done in a very benign matterofact way that I don't recall much of the detail. I just liked it.
2. Secondly, in the lead up to communion he said everyone is welcome to take communion. 
 
This acceptance of the new was balanced by saying that they should be proud of Anglican tradition and he explained an old Anglican tradition of the priest breaking some of the bread he was about to consume in the communion service and dropping it in the wine.  He noted with a grin that no one has been back washing. 
 
I liked the old world stone and lightness of the blue roof in the sanctuary area.
A view of the entrance. On a sunny day like today it's very peaceful. The city is over my left shoulder.
Outdoor morning tea included coffee, chocolate slice And very refreshing egg sandwiches. The city is in the background.
Foresight by the architect, designing presumably in the 1800's. To thoughtfully include these ledges on the buttresses.
Round the back, actually the front. A bell tower, a wall of plaques of deceased parishioners and some benches to relax.
Zoom in to see dates in the 1800's

No comments:

Post a Comment