The big ticket drawcard were the Arthur Boyd Tapestries.
There's lots of them and they are huge. Commissioned by Arthur Boyd and made in a Portuguese workshop in the 1970's.
Someone had a lot of money.
Getting Philosopical to me Art evokes a wide range of emotional feelings. Often for me there's a "wow". It can negative like "wow" what pointless rubbish or "wow" why do they even acquire and display this. Sometimes it's a wow curiosity about how did they make this and I often wish they would tell about how a piece was manufactured. Sometimes I have to sit and look and gradually I see detail.
Boyd said and I agree: you don't want to hang onto stuff. You want to ditch stuff and keep concepts. Stuff is the past and concepts are the future.
To me the main "wow" with art is the light it shines on humanity and the potential for the future. Sometimes it's a sad "wow" that brings on tears and feelings of anger and sadness about the past. Occasionally it's an awesomeness about the future.
To me a comparison the complexity of the human arm to the relative clumsiness of a robotic arm.
Grate Art:
A very practical installation:
A very practical installation:
The main attraction:
A hands on DIY experience of weaving with a time line on the left. I felt they'd done a great job of contextualising the tapestries. They had this time line, the DIY activity which shows how hard it is to weave. There was a nice little documentary video. The sketches that were originally for a children's book and finally the Tapestries.
two shadows from two projectors. Each projector projected the entire image. Presumably to make it brighter. Must have been fun to align.
No comments:
Post a Comment