Search This Blog

Monday, June 25, 2007

Marpoon Trip - Laura Festival

This is a photo of the Laura festival.

They had some big signs up saying "No Filming" so I was not able to take any photos of Aboriginal dances. I had been told that the Laura web site stated no filming and so that did not come as a big surprise. I had assumed that it was a spiritual thing. However the dances shared the performance areas with several very conspicuous camera crews. Presumably the official recorders however sometimes I wondered whether they were part of the dance group as they seemed to ne to be quite happy to get in the road and get up close. Right up close. So I guess it is not a spiritual problem.

 There were two performance areas. This one and a more standard stage. There was a food court that sold smoothies and hot food from various vendors. There was also a information side show populated by government agencies and ngo's like the flying doctor. I availed myself of a free apple from the flying doctor as that along with a very nice fruit smoothy was the only thing resembling fresh food available at the festival. Hot chips were in abundance as were the very nice beef curry and rice dinners.






No comments:

Post a Comment