Search This Blog

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Macbook air Windows7 Driver cockup

My macbook air runs windows 7.  The other day I could not use skype.  The problem, Win 7 did not see the inbuilt mic.

I reinstalled the drivers or so I thought.
Now I have a microphone but pretty much nothing else and of course win 7 rollback does not work.

1. MODEL
Identify my model here by typing in the serial number convieniently located on the back.
and I have a "MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)"

2. NEW DRIVERS
support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents  dismal fail

This page advises

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) 5 5 4 - - -
So I must be running bootcamp 5.

But it would be nice to know what version of Bootcamp I am running



This page
http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents
Lists various downloads but not a lot to tell me which one to use.  Several are dated 14-MAR-2013.
Chosen this one because it is version 5.0.5033 and I assume that 5 at the beginning refers to Bootcamp Version 5.  Just a guess mind you.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638

http://download.info.apple.com/Mac_OS_X/041-9675.20130314.f8Ji7/BootCamp5.0.5033.zip

We're sorry.

We can't find the page you're looking for.
Please return to the Apple Support homepage.

Blast!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
11-08-2013
In a confusing turn of events, I go back and look at what I downloaded that caused all of these problems and blow me over if it was not 5.0.5033.

So now I look through that download and I find a pdf. 

Reboot the mac into the mac os.
Select bootcamp assistant and try to download the windows support stuff.  I put in a 4GB USB drive and the mac tells me
Cant install windows support software
Because there is not enough disk space
3.03GB is needed but only 2.15GB is
available.

what tha

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This page looks interesting
http://www.cafe-encounter.net/p682/download-bootcamp-drivers
It appears I need my 'model identifier'


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12-08-2013  REINSTALL WINDOWS 7
Now trying a different tack.  Was going to install WIN8 but my microsoft MSDN / Action Pack subscription account seems to have issues so I can not get the WIN8 ISO or the product key.

So we will try to reinstall win7.  I have an iso.  I know the key that was used.

1. Downloaded Advanced Token Manager
This is used to record the activation details
See here
http://www.howtogeek.com/75496/how-to-reinstall-windows-without-having-to-reactivate/

2.
Ran it and saved the windows activation details.
It can also save the Microsoft office activation details but it failed on this one.  It said it found a bogus key.  When I checked the so called bogus key against my company records they matched.  And its activated but ATM will not save the config.  Not a huge deal because I can install a new version of office anyway.

3. Now by good luck, nothing more, I have WIN7 ISO with SP1 already on it as a result of my having to reinstall the home desk top.  Hmm this is home premium but the work MacBook is pro.  Hmmm.

4.
Put the USB stick in the slot and pressed F8 as I powered up.  Of course, being an apple that does not work.
Trying using the Option key during power up.  Well blow me over.  That works!













No comments:

Post a Comment