Search This Blog

Thursday, April 24, 2014

An Inside Look at my Master Card

Most of us have had trouble with our credit card from time to time.
Sometimes we feel the need for a forensic analysis of our finances.
Well here is a forensic analysis of the inside of my Master Card.


I went to get it out of my wallet and it came out in two pieces.  Worn out?  Over use?

It still works though.

In this picture, you can see the chip and the copper coil near the edge of the card is the near field antenna for the touch and go payments.
 Here is a close up of the chip - the square bit in the middle.  I took this picture with a microscope.  The round dots are the connections through to the contacts on the front of the card.  To the right is part of the near field antenna.  The wire on the left is the other end of that same antenna coil.






I had a look on the net and the first 6 and last 4 digits are supposed to be pretty innocuous.  I have blurred out the rest and my name and expiry date so hopefully I wont see any untoward transactions in my account.







No comments:

Post a Comment