Search This Blog

Saturday, September 12, 2015

P1 Campfire Cooking

The Grade 7 youth group called Priority One or P1 for short has firstly changed to a Grade 6 youth group.

I was really impressed with the leadership of P1.  There has been a generational change from people like Megan and I to a younger group.  The main leader is Meg.  James.  Olie is aparantly still aroud but only occasionally.  There are a number of Junior leaders - highshool kids - 2 St Aidens, 1 Churchie, 1 Stuarhome possibly one from Indooroopilly and one from St Peters.

Overheard an interesting comment from one of the junior leaders.  Their comment was "we all hated each other in grade 6 but by grade 7 we were all friends".  A effect I guess of shifting Gr7 to highschool will be a different dynamic in primary schools with the new school leadership cohort being GR6.  I guess the younger kids will all take their cues from a cohort with a different interpersonal dynamic.

The kids made self saucing steam puddings - I think I need to revisit the recipee as they seemed too thick and dry.
Damper twisties.
Toasted marsmellows
Jaffels - thank you James :)




Chris came wood collecting with me.  We got some big logs from The Konings - Thank you Paul.

Then small sticks from alongside Canossa.

This photo taken around 6:10 was lighting the fire.  I was worried we were starting too early but not so.

We put a couple of the aforementioned logs on as they are hard wood and make great coals and take time to burn.

The fire was very very hot!



Alietta is our new youth leader.  She did devotions.  She is young and the kids are a bit rowdy so these things are always hard.  However I saw a much more mature side to her.

It was from the heart and quite well done.






A side activity was wood chopping.

I guess one day the risk assessment paranoia will put an end to it.

My safety aspects that seem to have worked so far is to have the kids watch from the side in case the kid lets go of the axe,
Behand a rope so far enough away to escape those glancing blows.


No comments:

Post a Comment