Search This Blog

Monday, March 18, 2013

Iphone 3G what does not work

Or should this post be "Tell me again why not to buy an i-anything"

Chris has given up on the old iphone 3G.
I gave him my LG Android phone.
Figured I would have a go at the old iphone before buying a new phone.
This reminded me why one does not by apple.
If it works it works really well but if it doesn't then it doesn't and there ain't anything I can do about it.

What is good:
  • The keyboard & composing texts - really nice.
  • Voice quality is excellent.  As I recall there is something like 17dB more headroom in the microphone circuit.
What does not work -
  • Sync contacts with google.!!!
  • Cant buy apps anymore.

On Jan 20 this year 2013 Google turned off the old method to syncronise contacts.  This method involved setting up an "exchange" account on the iphone and connecting using microsoft protocols.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4872?viewlocale=en_US
iOS: Syncing with Google Contacts but then in small print
With iOS 5 or later, you can set up CardDav syncing with Google Contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Tried it.  Failed!.

Gave up.
Bought a android based Samsung Galaxy Duos for $149 from JB Hifi.
Entered my gmail address and password and walla email, contacts & calendar all just there ready to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment