Search This Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Surface Pro

Megan has a new computer.  Microsoft Surface Pro.

Setting up....

Wireless
Pretty much the first thing it wanted was the key.  Entered and we were away.

Office 365
This is ~$100 per year for up to 5 computers in the one house.  Setting up took a while as it wanted to set up an account.  Done and it works.

Skydrive
Skydrive is Microsoft's cloud storage and we get 20GB per year included with the office 365.  However it would appear there is no Win XP version.  As we were upgrading from XP I figured I would just install Skydrive on both machines and drag and drop.  But alas no.  So we are going to use drop box instead.

Mail
Now we seem to have it a hurdle here.
I want to connect the mail app on the surface to gmail using imap protocol.
On the windows desktop I click on the mail app and it prompts me to add an account.  I choose google and enter Megans user name and password and it responds with
unable to connect ensure that the information you have entered is correct.
Of course it is and to be sure I log into google via a web browser.
Ah silly me.  I had checked the box that said something like include contacts and calendar.  Maybe that does not work

Synchronisation
Google apparently has as a part of it's company policy "don't be evil".  Well it appears that  Google has turned off the interface that permits microsoft and apple things to sync.  So I guess they did not include "don't be dumb" in their company mantra.  So I guess I need to find a new way to sync my calendar and contacts.





No comments:

Post a Comment