Search This Blog

Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Taste of Moogerah - Parent & Son Weekend. Dan and I spent Sunday & Monday at the BGS outdoor education centre at Moogerah Dam. We did a number of activities that the kids get to do. Students go for 1 week each year.

Activities included climbing "Big John"(It's a tree), 250m long flying fox, walk up Mt Edwards.

For me the best activity was the Orienteering because I got to get lost and work out maps and so on with Daniel.

 In keeping with the experiential atmosphere we had to line up before dinner and also go for a 3km run this morning and that was an exhausting killer and just showed how fit the young kids are.

It was also interesting to go back and see the place. By good luck I was at BGS the year Moogerah opened (1976). That year we had wooden canoes that leaked. By the following year a new bloke - "Jimmy Johnson" had taken the reins. A few changes since 1976. The big brick fireplace had gone from the dining room and the dorm building has been extended with some extra accommodation, for teachers I assume, inserted between the dorm and the rest of the building. A large number of ropes course activities have appeared. I do not recall any of them being there when I was a student. Certainly not to the extent they are there now.

In talking to Dan, one of the highlights for him was climbing "Big John". Apparently he had baulked at it when he went with his class and so this was a great way for him to conquer that.

At the end we watched a promo for Duke of Edinburgh.

I just want to be a student again. So much to challenge and excite these kids. (BTW this update is post event because they sent us the same packing list as the kids get and it said "no phones". I figured had better comply lest I be made to stand outside in the cold or double dish washing duty or some equally dastardly punishment.)

No comments:

Post a Comment