Search This Blog

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Rowing - Pain in the .... leg

We have a new boat for the HOTY and coincidentally my leg become incredibly painful.

The first time we rowed it, the shoes were so small that I could barely fit my feet in.  Part way through the row, I took my inside (left) leg out of the shoe and used the Velcro strap that is part of the shoe to hold it down.  The pain / numbness / pins and needles continued and was worse.  Upon reflection, I wondered whether I ended up with my pelvis being pushed on an angle because my feet positions would have been different by the thickness of the shoe material.

Then changed the shoes for ones that fit.

Today's row still painful.  I'm in 5 seat.  While bow 4 warmed up and I was sitting enjoying the scenery I observed that my left leg (inside leg) was developing pins and needles just sitting there.

Current theory is that the seat is too narrow and the sides too high.  They are pushing up on the outside of my pelvis and my spine has no support in the middle.  But I'm not a doc or physio so I don't know.

On the other hand I have not experienced this when rowing any of the other boats and of late I have tended to row at least one other boat each week.  Tuesday I row in the Lochinvar and that is also a Sykes brand boat.

RESEARCH
BTW Seat tops from Croaker $125 and Sykes $77 - $154  
http://www.crokeroars.com/#!seats/c1mdn

Carbon seat tops are the latest computer generated product to be released by Croker Oars. These ergonomic seat tops are functional, elegant and gender specific.



For the first time, carbon seats are available to suit female rowers. Women generally have wider pelvic bones than men.



Men’s and women’s seats are differentiated by the distance between the seat holes or depressions. The men’s seats have hole centres of 120mm or 130mm and the women’s seats have hole centres of 160mm. This will suit most rowers. 



Small Boat Seats are 300mm wide (mens and womens), to fit most single sculls, this width may be an issue with older boats with shoulders. 



Big Boat Seats are 330mm wide (mens and womens), to fit doubles, pairs, quads, fours and eights. Some large single sculls may also accept a big boat seat. Contact Croker Oars if you are unsure for further information.
And look someone else with the issue
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rowing/comments/17tmuq/pins_and_needles_in_leg_when_rowing/





No comments:

Post a Comment