Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2023

m3gan movie

M3gan Megan movie
6:15 at event cinema 2 indooroopilly shopping town.
Smells musty.
Seats don't recline.
I wonder if owners consider that it's more comfortable to stay home?

Movie review:
OK.
Not as good as the Netflix series "better than us".
Bit of a slow start. 
Reasonably good tension build.  
An irrelevant distraction when the doll kills the next door neighbour. 
Ended up with one of those terminator never going to die endings.

Me:
The cinema was pretty empty.  Maybe 20 people. 
I was the Sad old lonely grey haired   bloke at the cinema on his own. 

I guess I've got to get used to this on my own life. But it's hard. Don't know if I ever will. 


I see a lot of people have given this movie 4 or 5 stars but I thought it wasn't nearly as good as it could have been. While it seemed to try to have social comment on all sorts of things - role of parents, people skills, kids growing up and the development of AI, it kind of missed here. It was kind of too obvious. 
SPOILER ALERT
I'll start by saying that I felt the kid, Cady did a great performance.
I felt that the step mum Roboticist Gemma was too much of a naive introverted geek. Like who adopts their sisters kid and brings them home to a house with no toys and then can't even tell a bed time story or simply talk and play with the kid. The doll Megan was great for most of the movie and it does make social comment on the traditional scifi idea that robots have a prime directive that prevents them from harming or at least killing humans. Let's not forget that in reality the vast majority of R&D dollars is going into developing robots to do that. Back to the movie, kind of does note the effect of rushed development and poor software development and of course the same worry that underpined terminator. A the key problem with Megan, changed from protecting the kid to protecting her own survival with a terminator type drawn out ending with the ruminants of her torso dragging it's self along attempting to kill both its creator and the kid it was supposed to protect. Maybe there is a religious social comment there after all. My issue was Megan switched from subtle smart responses to vilent psychopath behaviour and I think that was an attempt by the producers to switch from tension to gore. Gotta have some gore and nothing says gore better than a psychotic doll with a gash in its head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment