Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Doing Battle With you guessed it - Telstra

Tonight I have been reminded once again why the national broadband plan is a puddle of %&*& and the reason is rain.  Well actualy the problem with the national broadband plan is not that having a fibre to the home would not be handy but actually I want is the internet in my car and at the park and when I go camping.  Basically the solution I want is wireless.  However I digress.
Tonight my fixed line became noisy so noisy in fact that when I went to call somone, I gave up and used my mobile instead.  Having done that it was time to do battle with telstra.

The ADSL service is on the same line and was still fuctioning although it seems a bit slow.  
Onto the Telstra web site and identify that the contact number is 13 22 00.  Amazingly the call is answered and I do the usual batte trying to make the computer voice thing understand.  Did you say "Fault" "Say Yes or No".  "Yes" I say and finally fater pushing a few buttons I get to speak to a human.  The worry is that the line is getting less noisy by the minute.

Now this guy calls me back on my mobile and wants me to unplug everything from the phone ine including the ADSL modem.  Then he wants a phone and that is hard to do.  Rumage through an old box of junk and wallah there is a T200.  More rumaging and I find a RJ12-RJ12 lead and we soon have the T200 plugged in.  he calls me on it and it is pretty clear.  Now this is a problem because we are getting off track.

Then he asks me to plug back in the ADSL modem and indeed it is slightly more noisy. Its probably the filter he advises.  Well blow me down I say but I have a brand spanking new one right here.  This performed no different.  Its the modem he advises.  Go and get a new one.  

So now we are at a bit of an impass.  The fault is in the line.  We know the problem is in the line and it returns whever it has been raining and as we all know it has been raining in Brisbane quite a bit recently.

So I guess the next thing is to get another modem.  Lets go dig in the junk box and see what we can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment