Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tie Dying

Did my first tie dying in like 40 years.  See picture.  So I guess that makes me qualified to lead the kids club at church in doing tie dying.

This was done by starting with an old sheet and cutting off a piece.  Then using rubber bands to tie it into a sausage sort of looking thing.

Then I mixed up some dye which came in a small plastic bag.  10g for just under $10.  10g mixes with 250ml of water = 1 cup.  This rag used about half the mix.   So at that rate I reckon it will cost us $5 per T shirt just in dye.

 My suspicion is that there must be a cheaper way to buy dye but its not from spotlight.

The other thing is that putting on the ties is not so easy.  Basiccally rubber bands that you wrap on tightly.  The older kids could do it easily but I suspect that the younger ones may have a lot of trouble to get them tight enough.  I am going to try to get Chris, Dan & Jemma to each have a go to test this theory.

Update - I got Dan to have a go at putting a rubber band on a Tee shirt and indeed it is quite hard for him.

If anyone has any thoughts please send them through.

If anyone knows someone who does this sort of thing, I would not mind having a chat to them.

Also if you know where one can buy bulk dye cheap (not cheap dye in bulk), can you let me know that too.

Thats it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment