Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

cpanel web disk not for windows 7

Yet another bizzare miscrosoft ism.  Why do they make it so hard.  The web host I use runs a management thing called cpanel.  It has a feature walled web-disk.  On XP, I just clicked a button and then I had a new "disk" on my computer.  This disk was actually the web hosts file system so it made it very easy to push files up on the web for storage and display.  A bit like drop box.  It appears that this is not supported on windows 7.

Even a year ago, I would have thought Microsoft to be with us forever but I suspect that unless the juggernaut can reinvent it's self that in 5 years it will be just an also ran.  I was at Mt Omanus shopping centre the other day and thought I would have a look at smart phones.  Almost all run Google Android in opposition to Apple.  But where is Microsoft.  I even asked at several stores.  Not a single Micrsoft phone to be found.  In the tablet arena, you can still find some microsoft offerings.  I saw a very nice machine the other day but numerically I suspect in the minority there too.  Again the big compeditors - Apple I pad and then innumerable low cost tablets running Android.  I suspect the desk top world that I suspect is shrinking anyway, Microsoft may continue to dominate but again they are up against Apple and many much improved Linux offerings.  So what have Microsoft got?.  Well MS office is still better than open office but every release seems harder to use than the previous version.  An achievement that few other programs manage as most developers improve their ease of usability over time whereas Microsoft seem to have moved into a mindset of "we are giving you the best set of features but you have to endure a totally new way of doing things"

Franks Tech Prediction
So while we are thinking of the future let me throw in my prediction for the future in the tech area.  I think we will see the development of in eye projected image technology.  So instead of your device having a screen, which lets face it, the screen and keyboard now determine the size of the device, the device will use a couple of lasers to project the image right into the eye.  So this virtual image can appear to be as large or small as you like.  A side effect will be privacy in that unless the laser is shoving the image in your eye then you will not be able to see it.  Likewise, if you wish to share your screen you will need to direct it to project into the other persons eye at the same time.

Webdisk on Win7
This fellow
http://www.techiechips.com/web-folders-web-disk-webdav-problems-on-windows-7/
 suggests
Bitkinex can be downloaded from their official website bitkinex.com

No comments:

Post a Comment