Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day trip to Syndey

You know when things go right they keep going right and when they go wrong well.....

In the lead up to Easter fest, I have been attempting to write a computer program to control a video routing switcher and by vision mixer.  Got the program working but the router occasionally would not switch on.  Ordered a new power supply.  Thought it was in stock for next day delivery.  Turned out it was in stock but overseas so took a week to arrive.  Installed it and the switch has not worked since.  Bought a different router off eBay.  Ah the remote control protocol is not available and as its old gear, the manufacturer is having difficulty finding the data.  The bright side of this was that I had a Kramer 6x6 switch which was pressed into service and the program modified and so we are OK for Easter.

In the middle of all this, the electric opener for the drivers window in the ute decided to pack it in.  The window ended up down and pushing the button resulted in grinding noises and no window closing.  Last night I quickly rip the door apart and discover the problem is terminal.

Somewhere along the lines last night I misplace (that would be loose) my keys.

This morning I drive (via work to look for my keys) to the airport in the ute.  I have to open the door to retrieve the parking entry ticket as the window is now jammed3/4  shut with a piece of wood.

At least I am running early so no panic.

I park myself at the departure lounge and wait.
and wait.
And we keep getting announcements apologising for the delay due to an engineering issue.  Sure blame the engineers.
I hear a later flight to Sydney being called and make may way to the counter to see if I can jump on that.  I am maybe 20m away when they announce that anyone with only carry on bags can come to the counter to get transferred.  Wazoom and the counter is twenty people deep all holding out their boarding passes.  Eventually I make it to the front and get my new seat allocation.

On board and somewhat later than planned I chat to the man beside me and discover that I am in the wrong business.  This guy is paid to relocate boats.  This is when you have your 100ft motor cruiser in Sydney and you would like it in Newcastle and you can't be bothered driving it there.  This guy flys too Sydney and it is so.

Then the crème de la crème of annoyance.  I had booked a car with Avis (because they were the cheapest).  I arrive and I check in and pay and all that and then the guy tells me it will be there in a few minutes.  Well it appeared that all their other customers were being told the same story as when I got to the designated spot it was inhabited by a group of suited men and women.  There were cars everywhere but not for us it seemed.  Cars driven by Avis staff arrived and every now and then some lucky guy was given one.  But for most of it, it was wait, wait and more wait while the girl talked into her two way and received unintelligible replies.  We all watched as an Avis guy did a 200 point turn and then parked in a spot he could have just driven straight into.  The comment was made that "with staff like that...".  I went and bought a coffee and on my return I accosted the stressed girl who was doing her best to remain cheerful and I suggested that any car would do.  As lunch would have it, they had one but it transpired that the cigarette lighter socket (essential for the operation of the GPS) did not work.  Rendering the car useless for any of us.  Just as she started to type furiously, I saw a number plate I recognised.  Fearing she may allocate that to someone else, I grabbed my paper work and shoved it in the face of the Avis dude getting out of the drivers seat.  He responded with paper work of his own claiming the car was new & unblemished.  I signed.  Then inspected and decided that it really was new and unblemished.

In hindsight, the Avis experience was the bottom and things picked up from there.

My main reason for going to Sydney was to visit Optus and do a software upgrade.  That worked perfectly.  I had allocated the entire day should there be a problem as software can consume hours that you never thought you had.  Then feeling at a loose end and consuming a very nice salad I had purchased on the way I gave James (brother) a call.

We met for afternoon tea and caught up on kids and churches and wot not.

Arrived back at Sydney airport.  Returned the car.  Virgin were not as obliging as Qantas in giving me a early flight home even when I donned my Airport ID and tried to look like I was 'one of the boys"

Now I am sitting in bar.  with a glass of beer that I am eeking out so as to justify taking up a comfy seat.  My phone has consented to being a conduit to the Internet.  I have checked my email and now written this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment