Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Walk in the black forest part one

 A rainy Saturday afternoon saw twelve of us pile into three vehicles to travel to Belbird Grove for a 15km walk through part of Brisbane Forest Park.  As we drove in the Vito, we received a phonecall to say that Ian's car had broken down.  We caught up with him at a service station at Kenmore and the problem was immediatly obvious - it was a Land Rover and it was raining.
 After cleaning the lens we got this photo. 











This photo gives a good idea of the atmosphere
















The last infocus photo for 15km

 It rained rained and rained.
In preparation, I had gone shopping for a rain coat and new Dunlop KT26 shoes.  I was looking for one of those fancy breathable light weight spray jackets but had to settle for a low cost substitute.  Which turned out to work pretty well.

The KT26's though turned out to be great shoes for the walk.  Light weight and big chunky tread.  The path was quite steep (both up hill and down) and these shoes gripped well.  Of course our feet were saturated and at one place we had to walk through a river shinn deep and I am sure in contravention of all manner of flood safety advertising.  I got no blisters and they were comfortable.



 


It was dark and rainy all the way.
My head torch was not really up to the job.  I had it on my forhead below the rim of my hat.  It lit up the underside of the rim of the hat, killing my night vision.  In the end I found it easier to walk with the torch off.  Next time I need to have the torch somewhere else - On chest? On top of hat?

Speaking of hats.  A hat with a brim all the way round keep the rain from running downmy neck and into my rain coat.  This meant I did not need the hood of the rain coat.  A lot less constricting.




We stopped for a snack.  Ian had brought Hummus and Megan had biscuits.  You had get your hand to your mouth before the rain dissolved the food.






A worm.  Another feature of the walk were toads.  Some people trod on them, kicked them or had them kicked at them.









On Sunday, Megan and Cybele went for a second walk.  This photo just confirms something


5 comments:

  1. It is very enjoyable walking in the rain, much the best time. Where do I get a pair of KT26 shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous should read as Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The venerable KT26 once available from all cheap shoe stores seemed to only be available at Big W but not from K-mart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great read Frank. I wish I was there. I can just imagine what it was like. Rain is fine, it's rain and wind combined that is sufferable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. insufferable I meant to say!

    ReplyDelete