Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Falcon gear shift cable repair

2003 BA Falcon ute column shift cable disconnect & repair

A week ago I went to drive the ute home and the column shift was all floppy.  The ute was in reverse and that was that.  I called a mobile mechanic who said that they were not really set up for fixing this sort of thing.  He said that it was possible that the cable end had popped off the lever.  I jacked up the ute and had a look and indeed that was the case.  I wired the cable on and was able to drive the unte into the shed at work so I could jack it up and work on it in more comfort.




I undid the M8 Nyloc nut from the shaft.
This is the actuator arm lever.  To remove the nipple, I ground the back of the nipple down and the bashed it out with a M6 bolt that was then chucked out.


The hole was a good fit for a M6 bolt.  I held it in place with a spring washer and a M6 Nyloc nut.


I had to drill out the hole in the attachment piece to fit on the M6 bolt.  It would fit on M5 but just not quite on M6.
Then a flat washer and a second Nyloc nut to attach the cable.




1 comment:

  1. This happened to me when I was out bush. Cant believe the whole operation of the car comes down to one little bit of plastic. I now hate Fords and will never own another.

    ReplyDelete