Search This Blog

Sunday, December 23, 2018

First row in a single

First tentative row in a single.

My personal challenge for this Christmas is to row a single scull.

Fear of tipping over and becoming a hazard to shipping motivated me to ask Peter Hays to shadow me in the tinnie. Melissa ably carried the boat hook. My fear isn't of tipping over but a very poor strength for weight ratio may mean a tip over degenerates to an exhausting and soul destroying swim if I fail to be be able to get back in.

The tip over is inevitable and will occur deliberately soon but I figured I'd like to get a few strokes in first.

I learned an interesting thing. After relaxing and getting going Peter suggested to try to row straight. I observed that if I watched the very back of the boat that as I rowed it would kick from side to side through the stroke. So even though my average course was straight it was made up of lots of little zigzags. Gotta slow the boat. I'm assuming I pull harder on one oar than the other at certain parts of the stroke or lean a bit. Anyway it was interesting to observe and a good focus point to try to rectify.

No comments:

Post a Comment