Search This Blog

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Scorching Hot Oven

Our oven bring a whole new level of meaning to the phrase "Baking Hot"
I have hardly used the oven and I noticed it always seemed on the hot side.  I tried making meat loaf one day and it turned into a charcoal mass.  Baked potatoes and I had to keep turning it on and off.  A couple of days ago, Jemma put some cookies in the oven and we sat down to a game of Rummikub and in less than 10 minutes the cookies were toast.

I figured I would use some science and actually measure the temperature.  I knew it was a bit off compared to the manual and since the labels had worn away, I figured I would stick new labels on at the correct temperatures.  I printed labels and brought them home along with a multi meter and a thermocouple.  For the uninitiated a thermocouple is a thing for measuring temperatures.  In particular very high temperatures.  If I put a normal thermometer in the oven it would melt.


burnt Cookies



Editing Brother P-Touch labels.


This is a snip from the manual. 





This shows the actual knob.  Set to the 75 deg position.

Note the numbers are worn away.

Multimeter.
The yellow wire is the thermocouple.  If you blow the pic up you'll see a second thermocouple on the bench.





A close up.
the 70 deg position results in a 180 degree oven.







I then set the knob to the 200 deg position and the oven heated up to 302 deg C.












 Inside setup



Inside setup

No comments:

Post a Comment