Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Movie - The boys in the boat

 Watched the movie "the boys in the boat" this evening. Reminded me how the main character had it really tough. So I feel somewhat silly feeling down. My life is a breeze compared to his. 

As I had read the book, there was the inevitable comparison between the book and the movie.  As usual, the movie has to thin down the story.

For me the movie did a great job of highlighting the politics of rowing.  Maybe because the politics hit me when I was on the committee at Centenary Rowing and then president.

The movie severely trimmed the back stories of the kid and the boat builder.  It touched on hardship with the kid living in a wrecked car but I don't think it showed it as tough as I had thought it was from the book.  

One part that I felt the movie did well but it was not until the end was the oneness of the crew.  They got a very introverted crew member up on stage playing piano.  I felt that they could have done more on the individual training toughness and crew building.

The story was book ended by the kid in the present day with a young child in a single scull.  I thought that was pointless.

I actually would like to re-watch it to pick up a bit more of his dialog and inflections.


Grammarians met at the stafford pub.  

I was feeling a bit down and it was nice to get together with a group.  This was a pick up for me.

The pub wanted 40 minute for meals and I had had a great salad and pasta lunch and so I just skipped dinner.  A small number had already ordered by the time I got there and a couple ducked of to maccas and returned with burgers.



Gus said a few words thanking members for their support.




No comments:

Post a Comment