Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Wednesday blokey bash



WEDNESDAY 31 JANUARY 2024
Dinner with Paul, Phil, Frank at "Tiger Eye" and movie "Anatomy of a fall" at Palace Barracks.

Ha felt guilty that they bought me dinner and movie for my birthday. Weird feeling guilty with great friends.

Good to see such a movie because I'd be unlikely to choose it. I guess in a way I'm the quintessential consumer who conforms to the requirements of the algorithm. 

Movie: "Anatomy of a fall"
French. 

As expected, being French, the movie does not have a nice resolution to wrap it all up.

Set in French country side in winter. 12yo son was rendered almost completely blind when 4yo.  Mum is a successful writer and dad is a failed writer. Kid goes for a walk with his dog and upon his return discovers dad lying in the grass.  Calls to mum who appears. There's obvious trauma to the head and blood. An overly focussed prosecutor decides to charge the mother with murder.

A usb stick is discoverered with a recording of an argument that occurred the day before the death.

That was triggering in a weird way. The father accused the mother of controlling everthing. He indicated that they were where they were because of her. In my marriage I had felt that Megan controlled everything. In the movie it was very very obvious that the mother did NOT control the things the father said she controlled and that he was constrained, for want of a better word, by his own emotional state. It made me wonder how much of my feeling was in my own head. How much was I limiting myself and errornously blaming Megan. 


Overall It was a bit slow and I thought there was a scarsity of evidence even suggesting the mother did it. It was interesting to see a depiction of the French legal system which, as I understand it, has this investigatorial judiciary. Not sure how realistic that was. It seemed that that prosecutor was running a very thin case.

Overall though a great night and great to have great friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment