Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A review of resumes and job applications

We (my company - Syndetic) has an add running on seek and I am reading resumes and job applications.

Good Things
Many people send a cover letter and a resume. It is very helpful if the file names of both are the same at the beginning. Then they stay together in the directory.
eg
Bob Smith Cover Letter.doc
Bob Smith Resume.pdf
Personally I would prefer one file.  Say take their resume and stick a cover letter infront of it. and PDF it.

Dot points are great.

Short is good.  So far the longest resume is 3 pages.  This is a vast improvement on a few years ago where sometimes I would receive resumes that seemed to tell their entire life story.  I think I even had some that were 20 pages long.

A few people do not put their name at the beginning.  Its in the file name but not on the screen until the end of the first or sometimes end of the last page.  Pain.  First thing should be their name.



No comments:

Post a Comment