Search This Blog

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Mudjimba1

 WED 3 PM
Dash out of work and drive to the BGS boat shed at South Brisbane.

I help BGS kids with rowing.  Chris does rowing at BGS but this week he is at Mudjimba.  We (the BGS people) had enough kids for 3 Quads That is 4 kids plus a cox per boat.  However we needed one more cox.  So I had my first ever go at coxing.  These kids put in a super human effort.  We had wind and big waves on Milton reach.  And a bloody great dead weight weighing down the stern.  But they rose to the occasion and I managed to avoid hitting the shore, parked boats and waved politely at city cats as they gave us a wide berth.  We were admirably coached by "Terry".

6pm and we are off the water and the boats washed, wiped down with chamois and put away.

HEADING NORTH
I plug the address into my GPS and head North.  It predicts an arrival time around 7:23.  Dinner is on the agenda but what to have.  A phone call to Mudjimba establishes that they are about to have Pizza.  Hmm Pizza sounds nice but cold pizza when I get to Mudjimba - not so nice.

Into the airport link tunnel and out again onto Gympie Rd.  Hmm what to have.  McDonald's whilst quick, clean, consistent and cheap (all positives) just does not do it for me.  Decide to draw on the reserves tucked away around my waist and simply drive.

ARRIVE MUDJIMBA
The unit is empty and locked and when I phone Megan's phone I see it light up through the window.  They are presumably on the beach.  "They"include the Mawhinney's as their car is outside.
Drive down the road.  "The Lizzard" has obviously made too much money and is closed.  But a Chinese and an Indian are both offering Fish and Chips for $10.  I choose the Indian and they confess they have run out of chips so I settle for a beef and rice dish and a can of rum and cola.  Take it back to the unit by which time the family are back and the Mawhinney's have left.

THURSDAY  In random order.


0.  Got up early and went and bought a coffee.  This is the view looking back from my park bench toward the coffee shop which is behind the surf club.

1.  Chris and I went and visited Aunty Margaret today.   Her place is 5 minutes down the road.  Aunty Marg educated us on our family history showing us photos and enlivening them with the stories that surrond the photo.


2. The children are playing Monopoly on the verandah.  Thank God, the Queen and whoever that we don't have guns here in Oz.  I took a photo and that should appear on my blog sometime.  There is no blood yet but the voices are raised and I suspect we will be transitioning to a game of Cleudo soon.  Death by choking on little green houses.

3. Megan is chatting up the home owner.  This holiday unit is actually two units.  The owners are currently living in the other unit.  Great position.  Walk across the road and through the trees and we are on the beach.  A 1 minute walk up the street and I can buy a coffee.  (2 today so far).  Megan wants to buy the place.   Is she just playing Monopoly in real life?

4.  Jemma and I did a surfing lesson.  These lessons come with a guarantee that you stand up or you get a second lesson for free.  I think I stood up but by the end of it I was absolutely stuffed.  Jemma of course stood up many times.

5.  The surfing lesson was so stressful, I decided to sit down.  Turns out I sat in a barbers chair and he cut my hair off.

6.
Anyone wish to take shares in this house.  The negotiations seem to be proceeding.  There have been phone calls to banks.  It's not a bad place. 

7
Marcus is at "Cotton Tree" with a mate and the mates family.  I think we will be visiting them Friday.

8
Walked up to the Chinese and purchased Fish and Chips.  In the half light (7pm ish),  we sat on the sand using our towels as table cloths.  You know you have to keep on the ball with the quality with these chinese.  The fish was really nice but one was like a quarter of the size of the rest.  Sarah ate that.  And the chips had great crunchy texture but so salty.  Very nice pineapple rings in batter.  yum.  After eating we lay there and looked at the clouds and searched for the odd star peaking through while listening to the waves.  The kids wanted to play "Square Tiggie" but on a full stomach?

9. Arrive back at the unit.  There is some difficulty locating the key.  Maybe it's been stolen. Dan insists that some one has stolen his hat and thongs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment