Search This Blog

Sunday, November 26, 2023

SUN Aboriginal Museum

Continuing at the Melbourne Museum and they have a very diverse exhibit titled "first peoples"

An interesting, for me anyway, exhibit about making blankets etc out of animal skins and so on. I think sometime I slip into the idea that somehow they did not have any tech. That they ran around naked and stood on one leg holding a spear. That kind of was the extent of my knowledge about the aboriginal people. 

This exhibition brings home to me a much deeper story both about their technology and the unbelievable cruelty perpetrated on them by colonial ancestors. 

I recall previously discovering about the deliberate biological attack via small pox laced blankets. Also there's innumerable untold stories of Aboriginals displaced by cattle and then being hunted down.

The question for me now is how do we all move ahead. 

We can't undo the past but it does impact the present and therefore the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment