Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday


Today started with a 5:30am drive to Syndetic. Ipswich Rd, Fairfield Rd, Open. The corner of Hyde Rd had a policeman. Luckilly they were distraced and I slipped past. Made it to Syndetic. The flood had gotten just inside the gate and below the door by a few feet. Loaded some big batteries and a couple of inverters.

As I was leaving a security guard had appeared in Cansdale St. I asked him if her was there to close the street. He seemed to have difficulty speaking english so I proceeded back along Hyde Rd. At the Fairfield Rd intersection, the policeman advised that only locals would be allowed in.

Headed off to Church with Megan and Will (Pascoe) in the ute with Derek's generator in the back.

At church showed the video of the canoe through Maccas and a few other people spoke. Even the Grand high moderator was there. Church continued with morning tea of the better variety as Debbie Costello had supplied some of her ledgendary chocolate cake.

After church wandered down into Logan Ave.  This is the next street down from us.  Its a war zone.  There were thousands of volunteers and lots of trucks and diggers.  So many volunteers that some had take a seat while others worked.

I think I offended some government types who were sitting on esky's wearing orange overalls with "Workplace health and safety" emblazened on the back.  I commented along the lines that "sitting watching others work was about as safe as one can get and that I could of course do that kind of work all day".

We then were co-opted into helping to move the lady back into her house.  This was the lady who's stuff we moved in the ute on Wednesday morning.

Around 3 (I think), Energex arrived in the street.  I was not able to convince them to leave the pole fuse intact.  I pointed out to the Energex guy that only one power point and the hot water had gone under and that he could just switch off those circuits but this argumment did not hold water.  As I was showing the energex guy my one power point, I saw that a local electrician had checked out our house and replaced the power point.  It took a while to identify who that was but as the necessary forms had not yet been completed in quadruplicate, the pole fuse came out.


So tonight we are running once again off Derek's generator.  It's still in the back of the ute and so a bit noisy.

The evening concluded with another BBQ

No comments:

Post a Comment