Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday

Three religious observances today.
Church
Dump
Church

At morning church we were given this piece of paper that describes the emotional response to disaster recovery.

Now am I the only one who finds this whole process a positive one?

Even when I read this sheet, it seems so positive.  There are heroic activities, expectations of help, promises, rebuilding.

For me personally, the whole thing thing has been great.
We threw out a whole lot of junk that was cluttering our house.
I met people on our street who I have seen but never spoken to and others who I had not even seen.
We had communal meals together.
I had people help me
I helped other people.
I went canoeing through McDonalds.
No one in my close circle of friends was injured or killed.

So I am torn.  On the one hand I would not wish a disater on anyone and especially not the life taking disaster that occurred in Toowoomba and Lockyer valley but on th eother hand  for me personally it has been a great experience.



I do think that I am at the Disillusionment stage.
To me the Feds should set up a disater recovery fund and policy.  Not just the great response that we had in SEQ but for any place and time in Oz.  To me this levy is a knee jerk reaction and far too short sighted.

Now I am off to the dump.
The dumps are free right now.  Normally we pay be weight.  So this makes heavy things are uneconomical to dump.  Batteries are heavy but very recyclable so I am taking this opportunity to take a pile of gel cells to the dump so I can put them in the recycling pile and receive a warm fuzzy feeling inside.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment