Search This Blog

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Crazy Johns Prepaid Android Data Setup

I have Chris on a Crazy Johns Prepaid.  This seems to be the best prepaid.  10c/min voice calls, 1c text messages and 500MB data and 3 months credit expiry.   I have just bought two more sim cards from Crazy Johns for Jemma and Dan.  Chris has not been able to connect to the internet and I figured it was time to sort that out.

Tried the Crazy Johns internet help
http://www.crazyjohns.com.au/settings/

The recomended settings did not work.  Rang  Crazy Johns on 132299
The kind lady tried to suggest that coverage was poor in my area and I insisted that this handset could never connect to the internet and further more when I put my voadfone sim in then it did connect.  To which she reminded me politly that Crazy Johns was not Vodafone and this I said to her confused me because Crazy Johns uses Vodafone towers etc.  I think that confused her sufficiently to put me trough to "Roy".  Roy turned out to be remarkably understandable and technically competent.  Amazingly we (he) solved the challenge and now Chris can connect to the internet and use up his 500MB / recharge.

Phone = Huawe
Model = U8510.
OS = Android 2.3.4

On the device, navigate to Access Point Names.
 via Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks.> Access Point Names
press Menu.  Select Reset to Default.

The phone did its reset thing and came up with a Vodafone APN.
Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks.> Access Point Names
Select the vodafone APN
press Menu.  Select Delete APN.

Press Menu.  Select New APN.
Set the parameters as follows
Name = Crazy Internet
APN = purtona.net
Prozy = <not set>
Port =  <not set>
Username = <not set>
Password = <not set>
Server = <not set>
MMSC = <not set>
MMS port = <not set>
MMS port = <not set>
MCC = 505 (Although I did not set that it just happened)
MNC = 03 (I did not set that either)
Authentication Type = PAP <-- *****NOTE Not mentioned on the CJ web site.
APN Type = "default"  Without the quotes
APN Protocol = IPv4 ( I did not type that it just was )


Check that the "Crazy Internet" is the selected APN with a green dot.

Navigate
Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks.>Data Enables
Un check.
Wait
Check it.

Return to main screen.
Choose internet and browse away.  Happy that everything is good and the world is in its place.




No comments:

Post a Comment