Search This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Ditch the Church Notices

I was speaking to someone at my Church last night and discovered that we (our church) has a working bee on today.
Hmm
bugger I say (not too loud of course)

I ask myself why.  Why did I not know about it?  Not that I really wanted to do it.
I suspect that notice of the working bee was announced in the church notices.

I wonder ....
I have been involved in many discussions where the gist of the discussion is that the best communication is personal -> one - one.
  • At church we say that faith is passed on through personal invitation.
  • Businesses know that the best advertising is a personal recommendation from a friend.

I suspect that when the working bee was announced in the church notices that those for whom the working bee is important figured "there done that".

Many years ago I had a discussion with a person from an American electronics company who told me that their company had switched off the ability for employees to send email to each other.  If you needed or wanted to tell a colleague something then you had to get up, walk over to them and tell them.

Let me suggest that we should ditch the church notices.
At the same time we would need to not use the yahoo e group to disseminate information either.
Then we will have to tell people one on one - Face to face or on the phone or individually addressed email or ?  But personal.

At the same time it addresses the theological dilemma of where in the service to put the notices.


A littlle aside
"The notices" in our church used to happen toward the end of the service.  The theology was that WHAT we do is done as a RESULT of our christian faith.  But sometime in the last few years, the notices got moved toward the beginning of the service.  

In our church, About 20 minutes into the morning worship service, the kids and Sunday school leaders leave the church building and go and do Sunday school in the hall.  We then come back together for morning tea.  


I think the reason the notices was moved to the beginning of the service was so as to include those who were leaving the main service in the life of the church.  The life as expressed through WHAT we were doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment