Search This Blog

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Rowing

I (Frank) have taken up rowing.  After getting out of my boat at the head of the river in 1980 and not setting foot in one until 2012 it is I have to confess something I wish I had done a lot sooner.

Today the Gramerians (those geriatric Grammar boys) held a family day at lake kurwongbah on the Northern side of Brisbane.  The fellow holding the boat is Chris Hinton who coincidentally coached me a couple of times when I was at school and he was at Uni (I think).

Chris Thomson and I went out in a double scull. 
Actually Chris and I had two goes in the scull.  Before and after the family row in the eight.  Great fun.
The tribe took out the eight.
Alistair (3)
Marcus  (2)
Sarah (5) from Germany who I think may have anglicised her name slightly.
Marcus' girlfriend - Courtney (6)
Chris (bow)
and Frank (7)

Megan, Dan & Jemma came out in a motor boat and a while later Megan swapped with Marcus at 2 and Dan swapped with Chris at bow and Jemma took over from John (see below) as the cox.

John in red below is one of the fellows I row with on Tuesday mornings.  He took on the challenge of  getting us in the groove which he managed.  Don't know how but at one stage we had all 8 rowing and we stayed upright.  Amazing.  Thanks John.






2 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! A few future members ......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great day indeed Frank. I hope your tribe all had a great day. Was psyched that everyone got a row - including Megan! We'll have to get out there again before too long. A much fuller day than I had anticipated - much better thanks to all the folks who turned up. Thanks for posting the pics - great memories.

    ReplyDelete