Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Marcus starts to Learn to Drive

Today for the first time, Marcus got behind the wheel of a car [legally].

Back up to yesterday (Monday) and Marcus arms himself with passport, birth certificate, medicare card, school ID.  In school uniform he and his friend Alistair walk down Boundary St to the Dept of Transport.  They each have similar piles of ID but it seems no proof of address.  Bureaucrazy!

So today he armed himself with all of yesterdays paperwork and a bank statement and what I assume was a stat dec (I signed it anyway) declaring I have known him for 16 years and he resides with me at this address bla bla bla.  Alistair and Marcus again made that trip down Boundary st.  Forked out $20 each and sat the written test to get a learners permit.  Out of 30 questions they both got one wrong.  The slack dogs. What do you think this means.  ACtually no wonder we have a road toll.  It's nothing to do with speeding.  It's youth who can't read the signs.


Anyway, he phones to tell me the good news and I leave work and we meet at Sherwood.  I figured do we have the first lesson facing up hill on Sherwood Rd in the dark.

nah.

So I drove up Sherwood Rd, over the railway line and turned left into a side street.
And there in the dark, Marcus started off.

Twas not long before we did our first handbrake stall and put on the hazzards and waved past the line of cars that had politely gathered to support us. 

We wound our way through the back streets and got close to Clieveden Ave.  Then I took over and drove us home as we were running late for touch footie.

After touch, where Marcus incidentilly scored a try, we had another lesson.  We wound our way through back streets until we got to the corner of Plumer and Oxley Rd.  There I again took over and drove to the church where I picked up Sarah and Jemma.  They had gone there with Megan after touch and Megan is staying for a meeting.  We are not sure if Sarah is allowed in a car driven by a learner.  Have to check on that.

So will he master Corro drive tomorrow on his way to school or will we all hear about it on the traffic report?






No comments:

Post a Comment