Search This Blog

Friday, April 26, 2013

Linux

Trying to get Linux going on the old LG laptop.
Could not get it to boot from USB so resorted to creating a DVD and using that.
Now we have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS up and running.

I forget where I am up to.....

To inquire what version of Linux:  (in keeping with the bizarre naming of commands in linux)
  1. Open the Terminal (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+T)
  2. Enter the command lsb_release -a
And that tells us 12.04.2 LTS

To inquire what what my ip address is:
Open a terminal window (Keyboard short cut Ctrl+Alt+T)
Enter the command ifconfig  (Windows uses ipconfig.  Again linux has to be just odd)
I think I am 192.168.1.48
But a nicer option seems to be on the "task bar" down the left hand side,
choose "System Settings"  (Has a cog wheel and spanner)
choose "Network"
We find a nice window opens and tells us we are indeed 192.168.1.48 wired and connected.

Is Apache is running
  1. Open a web browser.  
  2. Type localhost
Is php running?
run phpinfo.php.  And yes php is running.  This is good.

How about mysql
phpinfo tells me something.  I think phpinfo() tells me it is running.

phpmysql


SSH & PUTTY
Tried to get in with pytty.  No luck.
Followed these instructions and Installed Putty
The nice thing about Linux is one can just install things from the net
The relevant command was
sudo apt-get install openssh-server
WEBMIN


WINDOWS SHARING
To make windows sharing work I had to install Samba
sudo apt-get install samba smbclient
sudo apt-get install smbfs




No comments:

Post a Comment