Search This Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2020

2020 Centenary Rowing Club AGM

2020 AGM happened Sunday.

In the lead up I  was really worried it would be yet another shit fight.  I was not at last years and there had been some aggressive questioning and at the one the year before there had been a whole lot of bemoaning.  I get that people come to these meetings pushing a barrow of frustration and feel it is the only way to improve things is to ask the questions.  But that is really a symptom of management problems.  I see the same thing at corporate AGMs.  To me a decent company or club would be honest and forthright with information.  Companies with insane executive remuneration are in my view totally immoral and the angst at their AGMs should serve as a warning.  Anyway, back on topic.

In the lead up, my brother Lewis had suggested getting an independent person to chair the meeting.  He said he tries to get a local politician.  So I got onto the federal rep - Milton Dick, who kindly accepted the challenge.  He brought in Jess Pugh who is state and from the same political persuasion.  That made me think that it was only polite to invite Sarah Hutton who is our BCC rep.  I'm on a learning curve here.  I invited the head master and the sports coordinator from Brigidine and they sent apologies but also asked Caitlin Hocking to come on their behalf.  That was really encouraging.  What I should have done was invite the head masters of all teh other high schools in the area especially Kenmore.  At the last minute I managed to remember to invite Rowing QLD.  They sent CEO Ian Holzberger and HP Coach Andrew Service.

In the end everyone was really well behaved.

After the AGM we had a short general meeting.  Jess Pugh spoke about a up to $20k grant and Sarah Hutton spoke about a $10k council facilities grant.

Then we adjourned to the verandah for sausage sizzle and drinks and networking.


2020-2021 Committee


President - Frank Thomson
Vice President - Ros Hall      
Treasurer - Danielle Keymer 
Secretary - Tania Brooks  
General Committee Members -
     Dennis Taylor
     Cody Ellem-Allen
     Nic Freney 
Male Club Captain - Sebastian Jovanovic 
Female Club Captain - Lillian Hall            
Male Vice-captain - William Hall   
Female Vice-captain - Julia Cornish    



Email to club members:

Centenary Rowing Club
Centenary Rowing Club Logo Ready Set....

Hi Centenary Rowing Club Members,

Clubs work because members and the community make them work.  One of those support things is the venerable Annual General Meeting.  Our 2020 meeting, delayed from earlier in the year, took place last Sunday 2-AUG-2020.

We were graced with the presence of all the levels of government.  Sarah Hutton (Council), Jess Pugh (State) & Milton Dick (Federal) as well as Ian Holzberger and Andrew Service from Rowing Qld.

Milton kindly took on the role of chairman.

All three polies were very keen to ensure social distancing was practiced and that's evident from the photos.

As you guys know rowing was the first sport to restart as the Covid restrictions were eased but that was under a very strict set of protocols.  Right from the start we were very keen to comply and so doing it at the meeting was pretty easy.

I felt we had a real positive meeting and I am looking forward to a great year ahead, making opportunities for new people to come and have a go and building a channel from beginner through to performance or social rowing depending on each individuals capabilities and drive.
I was excited to hear the enthusiasm Rowing Qld have for developing rowing. I believe we can work really well together. A shared vision of growing the club and engaging with schools and the community.

It's also great to hear the support we have from all levels of government. We have a great facility and a lovely Park area. I am hopeful we can engage with our local community.

Finally I'd like to thank everyone for being really positive.  I felt that meant that we left the meeting thinking rowing.  I would imagine that some though may have questions that they had wanted to ask but didn't in order to "keep the peace".  I really respect that, and I'd ask you to contact me to discuss your questions and I'll do my best to investigate and answer them.

On the nitty gritty, We are having a handover meeting from the previous committee to the new committee this Sunday.  Soon after that I hope to get the AGM minutes out so that we can review them while it's still fresh in our minds.  Lets start thinking about what each of us can do.  If everyone does a little then we as a club can do a lot and be a lot.  Lets focus on each persons strengths and give each person our best.  Imagine the benefit we can bring to a person who comes to us.

All the best and in time,

Frank Thomson
President, Centenary Rowing Club.
0414 329 164    frank.thomson@syndetic.com.au


 Back
Tarnia, Dennis, Dannielle, Ros, Cody
Middle
Frank (Hat), Milton, Sarah,
Front
Jess, Lillian, Sebastian, Julia



Dennis addresses the meeting
High school "club captains" and politicians

No comments:

Post a Comment