Search This Blog

Friday, August 7, 2020

New Nokia 5.3 Phone - Buyers Regret

INTRODUCTION
Not doing well in the phone world atm.  Had a Samsung A51 that seemed noisy.  For example if I plugged it in to the cigarette lighter charger in my car it would anounce "GPS Signal Lost" and if I plugged it into the wall charger at home, the cellular data would slow right down and the number of "bars" displayed would go down.  A couple of weeks ago, I dropped it in the water in the bottom of my tinnie and that was the end of that.

Figured I would try a different brand of phone. Settled on a Nokia5.3.

Disappointing

ISSUES
1. SD Card - Cant just plug in the old samsung one
First issue was when I inserted my micro SD card from my Samsung, it wanted me to reformat it.  In my world, reformat deletes everything.  I contacted Nokia support and they encouraged me to reformat and promised it would not delete the data.  I decided against that and went and bought a new micro SD card.  Problem remains and from time to time it brings up a notification.

2. No Photo App
Next problem no photo app.  Only google photos. 

3. Storing Photos on SD card
Next problem is that it seems hard / awkward to organise the photos to be stored on the micro SD card.  I have some on internal memory and some on micro SD card.  Google photos seems lost.  Plus if I save a photo from Facebook, I can never find it.  Likewise if I use Open Camera which seems in it's self to actually produce better pictures than the Samsung camera, I do not know where the pictures go. 

4. Recognising the compass Gyro
Had trouble getting 'sky map' to recognise the internal gyro compass.  But there was a setting that had to be changed.

5. Phone Call Screen Lock up
Then one day I made a phone call and the screen just locked up.  I could not hang up despite repeatedly pressing the red end call button.  This happened a few times somewhat randomly.  Then it got worse and the screen would go completely black and none of the buttons would work.  Again this was a bit random and after a few minutes the person at the other end of the call would hang up and the phone would come back to life.  Then the next few calls would be OK and then it started becoming more and more frequent.  A reboot seemed to fix it for a while but it's really anoying. 

Return Phone
Decided I did not like Nokia and took a trip to Harvey Norman to see how much of a fight this was going to be.  We wait and see.  Luckilly though on the way I received a call and the thone did it's thing.  At HN, I was able to demonstrate the problem to a fellow called Andrew.  He made a note in their computer.

I did not want to leave it as I want to copy the photos off.


6  USB - PC CONNECTION
Next problem, here I am with the phone plugged into my pc and it shows up but I can not see any directories.  Bloddy hell this is a half baked piece of crap!
Long chat with Nokia Support,
https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_au/support#contact-us
in the end I suspect the following things fixed it:
Installing C:\Windows\INF\wpdmtp.inf  (right click select install)
Switching on Developer mode
Switching default USB connection to "File Transfer"
Details highlighted in the chatt below in RED.


BEFORE


AFTER

And look, stuff all on the SD card.  I knew I was having trouble getting it to put the photos on the SD card.





=====================//==================

Chat support in English

N

Nokia mobile care

  • Hi! How can we help you today with your Nokia phone or accessory?
  • connect by usb
Fri, 8:30 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • Welcome to Nokia Mobile Care. My name is Juan, I'll be more than happy to help you!
    How can I assist you today?
  • I have a Nokia 5.3 and when I connect it to my PC. I see Nokia5.3 in the left panel of windows file explorer but I do not see the internal memory or the SD card or any directories.
Fri, 8:31 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • In order to connect your Nokia device and PC, follow these steps:
    1.Connect phone and PC via cable.
    2. Do not pick any options on the PC
    3. Open "Settings" on Nokia
    4. Scroll down and tap on the last option System - About Phone
    5. Scroll down until you see "Build number"
    6. Tap on "Build number" repeatedly until you see the message "You are now a developer!"
    7. Go back to the "Settings" menu
    8. Scroll down the list until you see "Developer options"
    9. Open "Developer options"
    10. Enable "Developer options" by sliding the switch on the top right-hand side
    11. Scroll down until you see "Select USB Configuration"
    12. Open "Default USB Configuration"
    13. Pick [Charging] option
    14. Then pick back "MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)" or “Files Transfer” (depending on model)
    15. Go back to your PC, now the device's memory should be properly browsed from the PC.
  • Are you still there?
  • yes
  • the second part does not line up with what i see
Fri, 8:36 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • What is happening?
  • im in developer options, I don't see "usb configuration", I do see usb debugging, i see default usb configuration,
  • in default usb configuratin i have a file transfer,
  • usb tetherin midi, ptp
Fri, 8:38 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • Did you already try a soft reset? It often helps with tackling such issues.
    It’s easy: Press the Power button and Volume UP button simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, release them when you feel the phone vibrate and you see "Powered by Android" on the screen. This is a safe and quick way to reboot your device, so no need to worry, you won’t lose or erase any data. Just keep in mind that the device should not be charging. 
  • Please do that and try again
  • Doing that now.
  • unplugged cable
Fri, 8:40 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • Thaks
  • ok it's back
Fri, 8:41 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • Please try the procedire
  • Developer Option>Default USB Configuration
    no charging operation
    Options are
    File Transfer
    USb tethering
    MIDI
    PTP
    No Data Transfer (Selected)
  • I have tried File transfer but the phone no longer shows up in Windows
Fri, 8:45 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • This is really unusual
  • May I please know the IMEI number of your phone?
    You can find it on the box or by dialing *#06#. You will receive a 15 digit number starting with 35xxxxxxxx...
  • 355792101220385
Fri, 8:46 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • Since when are you facing this issue?
  • I only tried for the first time just now
  • I only bought the phone 2 weeks ago.
Fri, 8:47 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • Please try by plugging the phone to another usb port
  • It also dows not show up in the windows>control panel>device manager
  • So when I unplug and plug into a different port, the device manager refreshes the contents so it sees the phone leave and come back again but it's not these. There are no big yellow question marks which show up in device manager if you don't have the driver
Fri, 8:50 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • Let's try this
  • On the PC:

    Go to C:\Windows\INF > Type "wpdmtp.inf" in search bar provided to the right of the address bar in Windows 10. > Once you found it, just right click on it and select install. It will take a very few seconds. > Connect your device to the pc.



    Windows 10 N, and both N and KN versions do not have the Media Feature Pack installed by default, which needs to be downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack

    Installing the correct package totally solved the issue. I thought I would drop you some lines in case it is helpful for you for future issues.
  • Please try the procedure and check if the issue is resolved or not, and let us know to assist you further
  • doing it now
Fri, 8:53 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • Thanks
  • I assume it has done that.
  • So now I see Nokia 5.3 on the left panel of windows file explorer. and in file manager but not as a disk drive.
Fri, 8:57 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • I understand
  • Please try this
  • Reset network settings:
    go to settings > system > Advanced> Reset options> Reset Wi-fi, mobile & Bluetooth  
  • On the phone
  • And try again
  • First unplug the phone
  • done
Fri, 8:58 AM
N

Nokia mobile care

  • Please try again
  • Developer Option>Default USB Configuration
    no charging operation
    Options are
    File Transfer
    USb tethering
    MIDI
    PTP
    No Data Transfer (Selected)

    Should I try File Transfer?
2 minutes ago
N

Nokia mobile care

  • Yes please
  • Done it - solved - thank you
a minute ago
N
now

Nokia mobile care

  • Awesome
  • If you have any other questions, please let us know, we will be more than glad to assist you further. 
  • Thank you for contacting Nokia Mobile Care!
    ¡Have a wonderful day!

    At the end of this chat you will receive an opportunity to rate me on our current conversation.
    ¡I would really appreciate if you are Satisfied with my service give me the 5 🌟!
    ¡Thank you!
  • Will do. Thank you for you patience and persistance and clear communication
now



No comments:

Post a Comment