Search This Blog

Thursday, August 31, 2023

new car

Bought a new car.

Options were 
Tesla model 3 or Y
Or BWD $50k 400km range $53k 480km.
Went to Indooroopilly and looked at a BYD. 

Went and looked at the Tesla's as one concern was the physical size of Y but when I saw a Y side by side with a 3 the Y was only slightly longer than the 3.

Also considered that at 60, if I keep it for 10 years, I'll be 70 so it's possibly my last car so let's make it a decent one. I'm not saying that I'll get to 70 and stop driving but I'd imagine I'd be looking for a physically smaller car then. 

Another consideration was resale. My gut feel is that the Tesla's would keep their value better. 

So decided on a red Y. 
Bit of PIZZAZZ. 

SHARING
I really wished I'd someone to share the news with. Called and chatted to a couple of friends. It's not the same thing though. Kind is feels a bit awkward. I bit like BOASTING as distinct from sharing. Maybe they might feel inadequate. Possibly have a comparison mindset.  So it's different from sharing with a partner. 

OTHER STUFF
Charging adaptor leads
Trade in
Insurance - done
plugshare app - done


INSURANCE
Lets go with RACQ

 
 CHARGING CABLES
Tesla model Y has a onboard charger of 11kW.
So a single phase 10A circuit is 2.5kw
A 32A 3 phase outlet is 22KVA.  
So I guess the Tesla can charge from 15A three phase.

Mobile Connector - From Tesla shop
This Has a charge control box and two tails.  One with a Aussie 10A plug and one with a Aussie 15A plug.  Apparently the charger knows what tail is plugged on and limits the current draw appropriately. 
As an interesting aside, as supplied, the charge controller limits the current to 8A and 12A respectfully.  I understand that one can get "the system" to reprogram it to 10A and 15A by charging the car to 80% and then set the max charge to 50% and sit on charge for 20 minutes.


Bought a after market tail with a clipsal 3 phase 32A plug with one phase wired.  $218.95







TRADE IN
3/4 of an hour on the phone to TMR and they kindly emailed me the proof of insurance.
 
Cleaned all the crap out of the car.

Moved the craptiva remote access circuit boards to the Chinese housings. Both the official Holden housings and the new Chinese ones are equally poor quality but in different ways and internally slightly different. 

Dan took the good Craptiva key and the two Chinese blanks to get Jai to cut them.

Remove the dashcam
Order a new LinkT holder from within the LinkT account.





No comments:

Post a Comment