Search This Blog

Monday, March 18, 2024

Travel Notes

7 DAYS CLOTHES
Need to take 7 lots of Polo shirts, socks, undies plus ski socks.



WISE CARD
- it's basically a Visa debit card and behind the scenes once can have multi currency accounts. Better than bank exchange rates.  The physical card died but I transferred it onto my phone and that worked flawlessly.  I have a commonwealth mastercard for contingency. 
Wise does not have travel insurance. 

AEROPLANES
I Don't fly china Eastern or jet star.
Booked with Qantas and some legs were code share with Emirates which was good. 
Isle seat - so I can get up and walk around. 

TRAVEL INSURANCE - My cc does not include travel insurance. If I do this again, I think I would change my cc to one that includes travel insurance.
You have to book your tickets with the cc that has the travel insurance. 
I went with RACQ but it was last minute so I didn't really research properly. I did note that they have medical only which was way cheaper. It does not include coverage for things like loss of luggage or rental car excess or loss of tickets due to delay or even sickness. Having said that, I wonder what happens if you try to claim.   Next time just get a cc with travel insurance.

PHONE
Henry et al suggested I get a travel e-sim but it turns out my phone can't do e-sim. I had researched that Optus could do $5/day for 5GB but that was nightmare in its own right and I'll probably write to the telecommunications ombudsman. Previously I'd used Vodafone who do the same $5/day thing and that was seamless. 
In hindsight, I should have gotten a new phone that could do e-sim and gotten a travel e-sim.  Alternatively if one thinks ahead, apparently one can get physical travel sims but that takes time for delivery.

POWER & CHARGING
Chris loaned me a universal thingy that plugs into any power point. It's quite large and heavy but includes a USB charger. 
My laptop charger if big and bulky and doesn't have a plug and lead and that puts leverage on the power adaptor. 

BOOTS AND SHOES
I have only two pairs of shoes. 
Sneakers that are deliberately slightly on the large size for general wearing incl on the plane and running. Did park run with them and they were great.
Waterproof boots that I bought to wear at the ski fields. 
Normally I take more shoes including sandals. So I felt a bit naked when planning but it's worked out well.

JACKETS
Puffer jacket - squashes to almost nothing weighs nothing - I'm wearing it every night. 
Old Columbia liner - so far surplus. Have worn in London as my puffer jacket was too hot and sweaty.
Sloppy Joe - worn once out twice. Did wear on the plane. 

PRINT EVERYTHING 
Booking confirmations, tickets. 

POLO SHIRTS
No ordinary Tee shirts because I need the pocket for my glasses.

UMBRELLA
Henry had suggested to bring a small umbrella and that was very very good advice.

XTM SKI JACKET
I am very very happy with this.

WOOLIES BAGS
took two and that was the right amount.

USB POWER BANK
2000mAH  - Was very handy.  Should have tried to get a smaller one as this one was physically large.

USB LEAD - Long - I took a 2m lead to charge my phone and that was great.


LONDON
I used my cc all the time - no cash ever.

PARIS
Need a train card - Apparently there is an app but multiple people said it does not work.  One can buy an all day ticket for about 8 Euros.  Also the price at the machine was less than the price advised on a nearby summary.

ITALY









No comments:

Post a Comment