Search This Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2024

SAT 9MAR - Wind lost pole

Hi drama on the slopes today. 

High wind had all the lifts on hold except the gondola. At the top, the wind grabbed one of my stocks and javelined it through the orange safety netting.

Looking down I could see it. Tantalisingly out of reach. 

I then began a treck. A crab like walk sideways across the near vertical slope. Make a grip point for my right hand then kicking the toe of my right foot in. Then move left foot to vacated right foot hold. Luckily this face was sheltered from the wind. Looking down was not a good idea. Noting that if I slip I would slide a gazillion feet down the worlds largest slippery slide like an out of control toboggan.

Meanwhile at the top, Henry Thomson  was busy taking photos and conversing with the ski patrol. 

Finally reached it. But my right foot had sunken into soft snow. I threaded my hand through the safety loop on the stock so at least we would both end up at the same place even if that was at the bottom.

The more immediate problem was now my left leg was also buried up to my hip. I punched with my hand hoping to be able to make strong enough hand holds to pull my legs out. Unfortunately my fist went right through the soft snow revealing a void. Now I'm thinking, decent maybe as part of a avalanche if all this soft snow let's go.

As I'm trying to get out, a nice French lady from mountain rescue arrives on skis several metres below and yells at me not to climb up. I nodded in agreement figuring she knows more than I will ever know. 

Eventually with some wriggling I manage to get my legs out a bit so I'm on my knees in the leg holes.

Then it's chest to the slope as I begin the crab walk back. As I get toward the end, I move past the sheltered area into the gale.

Finally back on the track and I learned my lesson. Don't stand stocks vertical.

After this one run, we gave up and went home to our apartment.  

Next laundry time. Observed young lady come in and shove a quilt into a drier then fed coins into the box.... For the other drier. Then it transpired she actually needed a washing machine. She then transferred the stuff to a washing machine and fed in more coins. Unfortunately she now didn't have enough so left to get more. Came back got it started.  Now one thing in a coin op laundry is be there when the machine finishes. She wasn't. 

Washing machines €6
Dryers €2 for 10 minutes. Needed about 30 min drying. Took out synthetics as soon as they were dry. Jeans and a couple of socks were still not quite dry. 

Kababs while we waited for the laundry to do its thing. 

Returned ski gear. 

After cleaning the apartment in anticipation of tomorrow's very early departure, Henry and I donned our ski gear and ventured out to "Tango" restaurant where I'm now writing this. On the way we walked past a huge traffic jam held up by an icy slippery road. The wind blew amazingly hard and I had my hood on and pulled low and a gloved hand shielding my face and my other ready to break my fall if I slipped. 

this was on the roof in our restaurant. Music and tech all muddled up



No comments:

Post a Comment